Tuesday, May 20, 2008

So my summer begins…

The check-in process was completely automated at Trudeau International Airport in Montreal. My one checked bag was apparently several kilos overweight so I removed a few pieces of clothing and a pair of sneakers and strapped them to my backpack.
The security was very tight for some reason: I was subjected to everything but a cavity search and the contents of my backpack were emptied onto an inspection table. The short hop to Toronto was over almost as soon as it had started. Security onto my next, international, flight in was surprisingly, almost unsettlingly, relaxed compared to the Canadian domestic security.

The 13-hour flight to Korea went by quickly in my un-cramped bulkhead seat. Incheon International airport was quiet at 2:30 in the morning. I withdrew some money and began waiting for my 6:40am bus to my southern destination: Gumi, Daegu. I bought some breakfast at a convenience store in the airport –some kimchi and barbeque chicken filled rice cakes and a bottle of green tea. After breakfast I shaved and brushed my teeth in the airport restroom.

No comments: